Wednesday, September 28, 2005

It's all in a name ... or is it?

One of the aspects of Nigerian life that I have noticed is peoples' names. A common practice is naming your child after the day of the week that they were born. The woman's name is in Hausa and the man's name is in English. Common names for women are Ladi and Jummi, which are Sunday and Friday. The men, obviously are called Sunday or Friday. Last names are not very common like Smith or Jones. Generally a last name is the father's or the husband's first name. So one of our ladies staff is named Ladi Sunday because her husband's name is Sunday. We have about 4 Ladis on staff and 3 Sundays on staff, so that's a good two months of Sundays. I haven't heard of any Saturdays so we couldn't form a three day weekend yet.

Another common form of girls' names are adjectives (for the lack of a better word). Names that are common at KA are Joy and Grace(not that uncommon in the States I realize), Comfort, Blessing, and Happy. (update: Goodness and Lucky are two other names I found)

Aren't you glad your name isn't Self-control Tuesday.

5 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

could get confusing!!

Wed Sep 28, 02:02:00 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

I dont know, Lucky Friday wouldnt be too bad!

Fri Sep 30, 10:33:00 AM  
Blogger Preston said...

I visited your blog for the first time today, very nice. I'm honored to be included in your "Blogs of people who are lucky to know me" link list. I'll be back to visit often.

-Thursday

Sat Oct 01, 03:29:00 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

thanks and it was just a magical artimetic progression (is that even a real thing?) or my own dumb luck, whatever floats your boat.

so this BTW does it have cheese on it?

Yeah, come on over and be a three-day weekend, oh and bring Clayton and Preston, or as I like to call them, Wednesday and Thrusday. That might be the only way your visas are approved.

Thu Oct 06, 12:44:00 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

whoops, misspelled Thursday

Thu Oct 06, 01:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home