Thursday, October 06, 2005

Tuition payments

So Monday, I know I'm late on the post, get a life, was the day that parents were suppose to finish the 1st semester's payments. I gave sufficent warning, they signed in August and given a reminder slip a week before that they would need to pay and guess what happened? Lots of parents saying "i can't pay," or "the bank was closed today". *Sigh. I realize life is hard in Nigeria (that's what the non-paying parents tell me) and that at times employers don't pay on time or at all (ask the public school teachers why they quit or don't show up for class).

I thought I would have no trouble telling parents "no, you're child cannot come back to school, you must pay", but I am because a child's education is at stake. However, with all of the promises that I hear, I can't feed my teachers and staff with promises and IOUs.

Sorry, not meaning to have a depressing post. Just letting you know that sometimes the job is rough.

On a lighter note, I bought some apples and a pineapple in Jos on Wed. Today my house help came and she cleaned the house! It's wonderful to come home and see the dishes done.

Have a nice day!

2 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

man! I need house help! Maybe I should become a missionary in Nigeria! :)

What does school cost in Nigeria anyways?

Thu Oct 06, 01:20:00 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

You should come to Nigeria! Now that you've suggested it, you have to come, state law.

I don't know how much a whole school would cost in Nigeria. I helped start a village school in northern Ghana for $20.

A year's tuition (tuiton, dorm, and food) at KA costs about $1,800 plus uniform, consumable texts, and mosquito net.

I pay my house help about 50 Naira a hour (30cents). I'm really not cheap; it's the going rate and I give her lunch money.

Thu Oct 06, 01:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home