Thursday, August 31, 2006

An Investment

Yes "IT" has finally happened. I made the plunge and have joined the 'normal' way of life.

That's right I invested my money (okay, my supporter's hard earned money) into....



(wait for it)....



Crisco! Yeah, it is exciting. I'm sure you are confused and waiting for an explaination. As you can imagine imported items are expensive here and you really have to decide "can I live without this?" like cake mixes around $8, last time I checked, or boxed cereal $ 4 or 5. I can live without cake mixes and cereal. However, I have to make everything like granola, cakes, cookies and any kind of baked item. No little Keebler Elf waiting on the shelf here. When reciepes call for shortening I have been using melted butter. This is tiresome for several reasons. 1) I have to melt the butter without a microwave. 2) The butter is usually in my freezer, which is currently doing it's job so well that it typically freezes the door shut. 3) Butter is expensive.

Okay so I bought a 3lb container of Crisco today (yes the big bucket) not any of that great shortening in a stick with the measurements on the side. The bucket cost N1950, which is $15. Yes, you may gasp now in your shocked horror. (I am too.) But in myself defense, I just couldn't take it anymore! I made cookies when I came home with my new shortening and they are terrific. Oh and if anyone can find out what 3 lbs of Crisco costs in the US I would like to know. Just 'cause.

Have a great day.

3 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

about $4 for 3lbs of Crisco brand vegetable shortening!!

Thu Aug 31, 10:46:00 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

mmm... cookies

Thu Aug 31, 10:49:00 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

m-l-e you are the biggest internet nerd I know but thanks for the research.

Thu Aug 31, 11:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home